I loved writing my cookbook, Pavlova in a Hat Box, Sweet Memories & Desserts and I'm currently co-authoring another cookbook with the working title, Transatlantic Tarts, Wee Tales & Recipes by Two Celtic Cake Queens. I've been creating new recipes and revising old ones. Below, I share a recipe I've altered and re-named, Sconookies! They are a lovely cross between a scone and a cookie.
I often find heart shapes in nature, especially when I need a boost of magic to remind me that I'm loved. I've collected heart-shaped stones, sea glass, and taken photos of mossy heart shapes on tree trunks. Sometimes I've looked up instead of down and the clouds have been heart-shaped. And because love is the most important ingredient I bake with, I adore creating heart-shaped cookies, cheesecake, and scones for Valentine's Day. I don't just bake these heart-shaped delectable sweets for Valentine's Day, but on any day I feel extra loving when I bake.
A chuisle mo chroi in Gaelic means my heart's beloved and my husband, Tim, and I have been married close to thirty-five years. We purposely married in February close to Valentine's Day. He's my heart's beloved! And as a writer, he's my first reader. As a baker, he's my first taster.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
1/2 cup light cream
3 tsp. almond extract
3/4 bag of white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped roasted almonds
1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and almond extract. Add the cream mixture to
the flour mixture and thoroughly mix.
5. Knead in chocolate, almonds, and cranberries.
6. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/2 inch thickness and cut into hearts with a small
heart-shaped cookie cutter.
7. Place hearts on sheets and brush with cream and sprinkle with sanding sugar (pink). Bake
for approximately 20 minutes or until very lightly browned.